All You Need To Know About TMJ Disorder
TMJ is temporomandibular joint that connects your jawbone to your skull, like a sliding hinge. The TMJ disorder can cause severe pain. It is both complex and has more impact on your life. It is common between the ages of 20 and 40 and it is suffered by more women compared to men. Continue reading to know everything about the TMJ disorder.
Causes for TMJ disorder
Even though the exact cause of TMJ disorders cannot be determine, here is a few causes for the TMJ disorder.
- Disc erosion
- Dislocation of the disk from its proper alignment
- Arthritis, which can damage the joint’s cartilage
- Many connective tissue diseases
- Teeth clenching or grinding
- Poor posture
- Trauma or injury
Symptoms of TMJ disorder
You may experience severe pain in the muscle and the jaw joint that control your jaw movement. Also, the TMJ disorder can result in various symptoms and if you are experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned below, then most probably you are dealing with TMJ disorder.
- Hearing problems
- Pain in or around your ear
- Stiff jaw muscles
- Tenderness or pain in your jaw joint
- Swelling on the side of your face
- Pain in your shoulders or neck
- You may experience difficulty or pain while chewing
- Pain in your face or tired feeling
- Pain while chewing or an uncomfortable bite
- You may feel difficult to open or close your jaw due to locked jaw
- While opening and closing your mouth, you may have grating or clicking sensation
If you experience any of the symptoms of TMJ disorder, you need to seek the help of your dentist in Albuquerque NM to deal with it.
Diagnosis of TMJ disorder
Your dentist in Albuquerque NM is the one who could identify the TMJ disorder. They will check your jaw joints for tenderness and pain. Your dentist will check your facial muscles and jaw’s movement. They will also check whether there is any grating or clicking sound when you move your jaw. They may suggest for X-rays or scan to know the exact situation.
Treatment for TMJ Disorder
TMJ disorder can be treated and the treatment depends on the root cause and the symptoms you are experiencing. Since the causes of TMJ disorder differ, there are various treatments for this. You need to consult your dentist about the TMJ treatment in Albuquerque and they will more effective treatment, providing better pain relief and addressing the underlying causes.
If you are looking for experienced dentist for dental implants in Albuquerque NM, you can contact W. Gregory Rose DDS, PA.