Best Shoes for Knock Knees
If you’re looking for the best shoes for knock knees you’re not alone.
Millions of people around the world suffer from the awkwardness and chronic pain associated with being knocked-kneed.
What Is Knock Knees
Also known as genu valgum, knock knees is a lower leg disorder that causes both of the knees to rub against one another while you’re standing upright.
As your knees “knock” against each other your ankles will remain separated.
It’s important to note that knock knees are completely different from bow legs, which is where your legs are pushed outward at the knees and your ankles are most likely touching.
What Causes Knock Knees?
There are a number of different things that can cause knock knees in some individuals.
However, for kids around the ages of 2 to 7 years old knock knees is completely normal.
By the time the child reaches 7 years old he or she will outgrow their knock knee phase and their legs will straighten out on its own.
However, if the knock knees persist after the age of 7 there are some common things that could be determined as the cause.
Some of the most common causes of knock knees include:
- Obesity – If you are overweight it can indirectly lead to your knees curving inward.
- Rickets – In some children rickets can affect a child’s bone development and lead to knock knees.
- Injury – Certain injuries can lead to knock knees in adults.
- Arthritis – Specifically, knee arthritis can cause knock knees in some adults.
How to Treat Knock Knees?
When it comes to knock knees correction there are various options to choose from.
Some of the best treatment methods to help correct knock knees include shoe inserts, stability shoes, and physical therapy.
The treatment for knock knees really depends on the severity of the condition and the cause.
However, almost all cases of knock knees can be corrected or at least improved by wearing the right type of shoes.
A pair of the right supportive shoes can make a big improvement in the alignment of your legs around the knee joints.
What To Look for In Shoes for Knock Knees?
When it comes to the best shoes for knock knees there are a number of things to look for.
Some of these things to look out for include:
- A great outsole that supports the arch of your feet properly.
- The heel of the shoe should be firm and support the ankles. This will help the lower leg and the heel move into a much better alignment.
- The shoe shouldn’t be too flexible so that it will support your arch and ankles for better lower leg alignment. Go for shoes that are firm and rigid at the front.
- Finally, never wear shoes that don’t have shoelaces. You need shoelaces on the shoe to help give you the best stability and support.
It should also go without saying that you have to make sure you always your right shoe size.
Don’t try to wear shoes that are too small or too big because they won’t support your feet properly which will lead to more severe knock knee issues.
When talking about the best shoes for knock knees it makes sense to mention orthotics.
Orthotics are prescription medical devices that you place inside your shoes in order to correct lower leg deformities such as bow legs and knock knees.
Orthotics treatment will help correct knock knees by improving ankle support of your shoes, relieving symptoms such as knee pain, and helping your feet and ankles function better.
If you feel orthotics can help improve your knocked knees talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for a customized shoe insert.